April 2016 update (basically, what I've done to it in the last six weeks)
Warranty plate transferred to new driver's door:
(Circled in red)
Measured Budd Wheels in rear:
They're the 1 1/2" hex & 13/16" square variety...
Test fitted the radiator shell sourced from a 1966 Ford 300:
It fits, but the Ford Industrial 300 engine is larger so the middle piece might not be a direct fit.
The two ends, radiator and pump should be fine.
I might have to get creative with the part which covers the engine.
Four pictures of the rear outriggers in the process of getting painted:
In this third shot, the lower part of the outrigger is getting some paint:
This last shot shows how the straps are out of the way, so I can paint the whole mess:
There are still a couple more photos to share showing the outrigger painting progress, but it really dresses up the rig.
Next we move to the nose for two pictures.
First a few red highlights on the yellow nose:
It isn't much, but was fun to do and again, gives it a nice look.
Here's the Bucyus Erie Hydrocrane sign straightened out and put back in place:
The wire rope (cable) was catching it back in the old days and no one bothered to fix it.
At least one side is flush with the boom, so it probably won't catch the cable.
Now we move back to the rear outriggers again and take a look at the progress later in the Month of March:
The radiator shell is off, the rear outriggers are done (except for one holiday on the right side at the bottom...oops) -
and we've got a clean deck around the engine. That should help me keep fairly clean while going through the engine and radiator.
Here's the view from the other side:
I put a quick first coat on the hydraulic reservoir.
The gantry is starting to get some fresh paint.
Man, this thing was neglected!
Next to last, a quick view from behind the driver's (left) door, looking at the pump:
Again, getting a clean working surface going and looking forward to covering the pump with the heavy metal cover I found, but first that crazy spaghetti line at the 9 o'clock position has to be rerouted.
The Company which owned this ended up buying a total of 3 of these units.
This was the oldest unit, and the deck was covered in a mixture of hydraulic oil and dirt.
Knowing that oil travels down and back, I think I've figured out where the biggest problem was on the rear deck.
You can spot it in this final picture of this post.
The oil was leaking from the chevron fittings in the vertical rams of the gantry system.
Take a look:
This is just one; there are two and they both look the same.
I'm hoping the cylinders are still decent, and it is just a problem with the packing.
They didn't have a Factory Manual as far as I can tell, but I was able to find one, or at least parts of one.
According to the $2 manual (original price in the 1960's), you don't have to remove the rams to rebuild them.
They can be repacked in place.
So that's the plan once I get the deck cleaned up.
The manual wants you to run the pump to help with the packing process, so that puts the engine higher up on the priority list.
Working alone, outdoors, in between other projects, this truck doesn't get repaired as quickly as others, but still, it all gets done.
Right now we've got a windstorm going, so nothing will get done for a few days.
The cab is progressing as well. I've wire brushed the floor to metal and will paint it.
Now that they have decent sound deadener, I'll put that on top of the paint, some felt, and then some kind of rubber mat.
The battery cover is in good shape. It just needs some paint.
The bench seat will stay as is; we've purchased a seat cover which will have to do for now.
Our local tool supply house (Harbor Freight) hasn't had the heavy duty jackstands on sale, so I'll just use wood and block up the front end while I do the brakes and power steering.
If I had to characterize this truck with one word, I'd have to say: "leaks".
The problem with the unit revolves around leaks.
Parts are not a major issue. Most can be found if a guy is willing to spend some cash.
Bucyrus Erie built these things using commonly found materials and parts.
The original quality of workmanship is excellent. Problems seem to involve short cuts in maintenance and upkeep.
Once the leaks are brought under control, then it can be fitted with better hydraulic hoses, electrical wires, fuel lines, and brake lines.
Of course, the brakes are usually a problem with older trucks - only from the standpoint of neglect.
My '51 Chevrolet 6400 is a good example. I spent some serious time bringing the brakes back up to par. Now they are trouble free.
This '63 has similar style brakes: vacuum assisted hydraulics with one addition: a M1CO brake actuated by an electrical dash switch.
At one time it had a complex system to control it remotely from the rear deck; that sadly has been mostly removed.
Again, the truck fell victim to cost effective repairs.
Speaking of hydraulics, this unit has 14 hydraulic rams: outriggers = 8, crane has 2, gantry has 2, and deck has 2.
Most will need attention. (you've seen above the condition of the two main verticals); the 2 boom rams also leak, but not nearly as much.
That's a lot of work, but I expect to get a lot of work out of this unit, so the repairs are worth it.
Til next time, best regards!